Friday, October 7, 2011

Edith and Ben - Rational explanations

[Originally posted at Ana Mardoll's Ramblings.]

This is how the grand explanation of vampireness plays out in my head:

Edith: "There's a perfectly rational explanation."
Ben: "And that is?"
Edith: "Magic."

Though I have considered alternatives*.

Oddly enough, while I definitely see Edith pointing to magic as the explanation I picture her, "I can't read your mind," revelation to be more like this:

Ben: You can't read my mind?
Edith: No.
Ben: But you can read everyone else's?
Edith: Well everyone else that I've met and taken notice of in a mind reading kind of a way, which is hardly a representative sample of humanity.
Ben: But what makes me different?
Edith: Give me a lab, millions of dollars in grant money, and a few decades and I'd probably be able to answer that.

-

*For example:

"There's definitely a scientific explanation for all of this."
"And what is it?"
"I haven't figured that out yet."

I'm not sure it that should be followed up with:
"Then how do you know?"
"Faith."
Or not.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment