Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A News Report on WWIII and Terminology

[Originally posted at Slacktivist.]
[Mostly in a response to how exposition about the reworking of the world was worked into a news report about the start of World War III from a reporter live on the ground in the smoking remains of Washington D.C.]

"Washington lies in ruins,” he said. “The massive assault was launched by local militia who apparently had help from the UK and Egypt." There was a pause. "Ok. You know what? I don't care that that's not what they're-" Another pause. "Do you have any fucking idea what just happened? Washington was-" A third pause. "Maybe terminology isn't the most important thing right now you heartless-" The fourth pause was the longest of all. Chloe wondered if they had lost the station, but then the correspondent returned. "My boss would like me to tell you that the United Kingdom and Egypt no longer exist. It would be more accurate to call them regions of the United States of Britain and the Middle Eastern Commonwealth."

The correspondent sighed, "In other news, there's a bus full of charred bodies two feet to my left. How many bodies? I don't know because they're not exactly intact. It's hard to say which piece goes with which body and thus I wasn't really able to make a proper count of them. Apparently the deaths of these people were less important than the nomenclature of where the attackers' assistance came from.

"I'm going to look for survivors now. Whoever you are, wherever you are, I hope you're safe. Signing off."

-

No comments:

Post a Comment