Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sophia saves the day, narrator-protagonist knocked out

[Originally posted at Ana Mardoll's Ramblings.]

This popped into my head when I read, "She isn't as fast as the hero, and can't take as many hits as he can -- expect to see her flung across the room and knocked unconscious at least once per book while the hero can take similar hits and keep going by the Power of Pluckiness," in a thread about Smart Girls in stories with first person male adventurer protagonists.
I didn't have time to doge and the tail hit me right in the chest. There was so much pain I didn't notice I was flying until just before I stopped. Then there was more pain, my entire back. Falling, the ground rammed the right side of my body, then nothing.

I tried to jump up to rejoin the fight. And then collapsed back onto the ground. Other than the sort of throbbing pain that can only come from being attacked by walls, floors, and other hard objects the first thing I noticed was that, based on the color of the ceiling, I was in a different room. That meant that the fight was over. Other details came later, like the fact that there was a bandage on my arm.

I looked around, if allowing your head to flop to one side can be called looking around, and saw Sophia. She must have noticed I was awake because she was coming towards me.

I asked, "Did you win?"

She said, "Yes."

I said, "Good." I'd ask for the story later, but at the moment that was all I needed to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment