Sunday, October 30, 2011

Edith and Ben - Summers by the Sea

[Originally posted at Ana Mardoll's Ramblings.]
[Even more of a work in progress than most stuff.]

When I was fourteen I demanded that things change.  I was young, I was stupid, and I was hurtful.  I didn't think about the fact that I was telling my mother I cared more about the climate than I did about seeing her.  I didn't think about how much it costs to pick up everything and stay for two weeks in California every year.  I didn't think about the fact that I had effectively cut the time I spent with my mother in half while increasing her financial burdens by who knows how much.

No.  I didn't think about any of that.  I thought that I was being an adult: I knew what was best, and I was putting my foot down.

And in response my mother did the most amazing thing.  She did what I asked.  That summer, and the next two summers, we spent two weeks together on the California coast.  She taught me how to surf.  I still don't fully understand how she was able to pay for it, but she never complained.

No comments:

Post a Comment