Friday, April 22, 2016

Kim Possible series bible

A series bible is used for two purposes.

Before the series exists it's used as part of the pitch.  "Here's what the show is going to be, give me money and a timeslot."

Once the show does exist it's used to keep the writers on the same page.  It has the basic facts that you do not want to fuck up, it has overviews of the characters so that they're in character, so forth.  The writers read it before they write and as a result (hopefully) the TV show has cohesion.

On April 18th one of the creators of Kim Possible, Bob Schooley, came across the pitch-era bible for the show while unpacking stuff into his new office (the two Kim Possible creators are going to be the ones doing the Big Hero 6 TV series at Disney.)

And thus began the tweeting of pages from said bible.  The bible was used to pitch the show in 2000.  The show hit the air in 2002.  As always with early production material it's interesting to see what changed and what remained the same.

Twelve pages of the bible have been released.  At some point I'll talk about what's to be gleaned from them, for now I'm in "I shouldn't even be doing this much this close to a screen" mode because concussion.

Speaking of, apparently I didn't forget about "brain rest", it's something that's relatively recent so it wouldn't have been mentioned last time I had a concussion.  But fuck are they right about it.  Screens and florescent lights are kryptonite to me right now and if I hadn't been told to stay away from them I'd have no clue because I'd be around them too often to notice the difference.  I'd just think the suffering was unavoidable.

So, until I do say something about the series bible, let me link you to what there is so you can look at it for yourself if you want to (these are all links to tweets, three of them links to the same tweet):

And that's it.

You can make out a bit of the text on the following page in most of the pictures which is how I know that there's one more "high school" character bio.

Oh, and if you have anything to say on any of that stuff, please do share it in the comments here.

4 comments:

  1. As a senator, would her mother would get a proper name *much* earlier than she did?

    (My previous comment on a different post got eaten twice. Let's see if your comment system is still hungry.)


    ---Redcrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a senator, would her mother would get a proper name *much* earlier than she did?

      God I'd hope so. The "(Kim Sr.)" comment seems, to me, to imply that Kim was originally going to be named after her mother, Kim. In the end her middle name was after her mother.

      (My previous comment on a different post got eaten twice. Let's see if your comment system is still hungry.)

      I hate that. It's not in the spam trap (though checking did let me free a wrongly spammed comment from someone else.)

      I really, really value every comment so when comments get eaten by blogger ... I hate that.

      And it's time to stop screening, but I do seem to be getting mildly better.

      Delete
    2. Glad you feel better, hope it'll continue.

      (That comment wasn't anything super important, I was just glad that Lonespark got you some food.)

      ---Redcrow

      Delete
  2. They really hammer on the whole "typical teenage girl, except totally not" thing. I can't decide how I feel about that. On the one hand, I do like the idea of someone discovering they're capable of a whole hell of a lot if people just give them the chance. On the other hand, she's NOT a typical teenage girl (martial arts, ability to travel the world at the drop of a hat, detective skills, etc, etc, including, apparently, being model-pretty), and claiming that she IS doesn't sit quite right with me. The more they say she's typical, normal, whatever, the more they're kind of unintentionally insulting both Kim (by minimizing her achievements) and all teenage girls everywhere (who probably aren't capable of most of the things she does).

    Wade Load. Words fail me. Holy shit do words fail me. *stamps a large red F on the creators' foreheads* NO. Bad.


    ReplyDelete