Thursday, February 19, 2015

Fictional Characters Explain Religion without trying: The barest hint of an idea

The idea, such as it exists, is that religious ideas are sometimes delivered by characters who aren't associated with them at all.  Sometimes in cool one liners.

-

The Man in Black: Life is pain highness, anyone who says differently is selling something.
-Buddhism

Yoda: Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.
-Gnosticism

Jayne: What are you taking this so personal for? It ain't like I ratted you out to the feds!
Mal: Oh, but you did. You turn on any of my crew, you turn on me! But since that's a concept you can't seem to wrap your head around then you got no place here. You did it to me, Jayne, and that's a fact.
-Christianity

Like I said, only the barest hint of an idea.  I think I had more examples when I first thought of it, but I've forgotten.



1 comment: