Saturday, February 28, 2015

And now it's too fucking hot

I kind of wanted to hold off on this until things were finally resolved, so I could make a, "Yay I'm not freezing," post unfettered by, "But things still aren't right," but as the day drags on I just want to have get an update out there.

Figuring out how to translate the money donated to me via paypal into heat in my home went from a very slow process to a very fast process so quickly that, "I can't find someone who'll accept a debit card," (you can have one that's hooked directly to your Paypal account thus saving you the need to be involved in tedious wire transfers) to, "Three places are tripping over each other to take my debit card," in the span of a day.

The one that I picked was the one who could deal with all of the various problems and do it very quickly.  (Once payment was sorted out the major problem was clearing my driveway of snow since, being carless, I have not shoveled the thing at all this winter.  An army of snow blowers got the job done.)

So last night I went to sleep with a new boiler all installed and working on the slow task of heating my house.

Actually that's not accurate.  Last night when I went to sleep there was already a problem becoming apparent.  Things were getting too hot.  The thermostat-boiler system was clearly messed up.  But it was night, i was tired, I had stayed up too late writing that post about Spock, and I needed to go to sleep.

I turned the thermostat as low as it would go and figured I'd deal with the problem, whatever it happened to be, in the morning.

In the morning when I got up it was 88 degrees F.  Apparently that's about 31 C if that means more to you.  The furnace was still trying to heat.

The thermostat was set such that it shouldn't have kicked in until the temperature dropped below 40 F (4 C.)  It wasn't that they weren't working together properly, it was that new heating system and the thermostat were completely ignoring each other.

So I manually turned it off, called the people who installed it, and spent a while hiding out in the basement where it happens to be cooler.

The temperature dropped to the low seventies (I know it got as low as 73 F, I don't know if that was the furthest it dropped) but it would seem that a fair component of the work done to make sure the thing properly turns off has to be done while it's on.  Until someone tells me otherwise my going assumption will be that if it isn't already on you can't tell if it will turn off.

Since they started working on the thing, the temperature has climbed back up to 78 F.

-

An interesting side note to this is that I had some pretty fucked up dreams last night, that usually only happens when I'm sick.  Maybe raising the temperature enough so that your body assumes you must have a fever because it's so damn hot can induce fever dreams in non-sick people.

5 comments:

  1. I remember seeing a webcomic (A Girl and Her Fed, specifically) say that several effects of a fever come specifically from the brain being overheated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly I always have dreams that are stranger and more memorable when I'm overheated, whether from fever or from a hot room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First it's too cold, then it's too hot. Seems like there's no pleasing you, Goldilocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you were definitely in the runaway greenhouse zone for a while, there.

      Delete