Thursday, January 14, 2016

Susan, on outgrowing Narnia and on lipstick, nylons, and invitations

[Originally posted at Ana Mardoll's Ramblings.]

We open with a Bible quote (ish):
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child, I played in Narnia like a child. When I became a woman, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
- Susan paraphrasing the Apostle Paul, NIV
Or, for the "King James Only" crowd:
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, I played in Narnia as a child, but when I became a woman I put away childish things.
-Susan Paraphrasing the same passage, King James Version.

Note that when she uses this paraphrase she giggles at "spake" because she remembers how silly the four of them sounded at the end of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
And now, the discussion of lipstick, nylons, and invitations:

Jill: Don't you think you have more important things to think about than nylons and lipstick and invitations.

Susan: Of course I do, but the planet Varillion has very specific ideas on how women should act. Obviously I want to help change things so that how one appears is a matter of choice rather than societal pressure, but right now if I don't leverage my physical appearance into an invitation to the royal court I'll never be able to secure aid shipments to the talking ponies on Equestria. It's not like Narnia is the only magical realm with talking equines that we should care about.

Jill: ...

Susan: Plus, I prefer to look good --my own standards of what that means, which, yes, includes lipstick and nylons-- while I go around doing good.

No comments:

Post a Comment