Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bella's response to human collateral

[Originally posted at Ana Mardoll's Ramblings.]
[It was said that if someone Bella knew died because of Bella's association with vampires it "might have gotten through to Bella's self absorbed considerations of safety for her and only her."  I thought the following was more likely.]


I walked into the room and there he was, his pale skin seemed to glisten in the flickering fluorescent lighting and his eyes, now a deep burgundy that I could sink right into, met my own. Almost breathless, I said, "Hi," because I couldn't think of anything else.

He musically mumbled but I wasn't sure what he was saying, his mouth unfortunately full.
"What?" I asked, wishing that I could find a way to speak in more than monosyllables.
He lifted his teeth out of Jessica's neck, bright blood creating pleasing contrasts against his marble white skin as it dripped down his face, "It's nice to see you, Bella," he said, and my heart skipped a beat. He sank his teeth back into Jessica, and picked up where he had left off.
I had to look away from his mesmerizing beauty just to allow my brain to form words, I focused on Mike's body, lifeless on the floor, and said, "It's nice to see you too. Are you having a pleasant meal?"
I glanced back at him and was stunned by his flawless face as he again disengaged from his meal and looked up at me. "They could use a bit more spice, to be honest," he said, his voice like a concerto. "I'd normally hold out for higher quality, but I was concerned that they might get between us so..."
"That's so sweet!" I said. He was making a sacrifice for the good of our relationship, it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for me. "You don't have to lower your standards just for me." I wasn't worth it. I was a nobody and he was perfect. It was more than I could ask for that he even noticed me. I hated to think of him settling for inferior food just for me.
"Don't be stupid, I love you."
Emotion overcame me and I rushed over to hug him. He dropped Jessica's body to the floor so it wouldn't get between us. Physically the embrace was cold, but our love gave me all the warmth I would ever need.
I wanted to be as close to him as possible, so at first I tried standing on Jessica, but I couldn't keep my footing so Edward lifted me up and slowly spun around, then set me on the ground when there was no body in the way. He was so considerate.

I thought, for the thousandth time, that this was the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

-

1 comment:

  1. Whoa...whut?

    This is good fun. Snarfed my drowning-depression beer.

    I kind of can't help reading it as some kind of metaphor for capitalism, though.

    ReplyDelete