Saturday, January 28, 2017

HHII: sharing

[Lots of notes at the end.  I'm posting this because there's been some discussion of how many things are built on never even considering the poly-amorous solution.  This is NOT Life After.  Look to the notes at the end if you want more detail on that.]

Kieran looked at Jacob warily.  She didn't actively dislike him, but right now he brought up way too many unpleasant feelings.  She wanted him to disappear from her sight, not be walking toward her.

"I think we have to talk," he said when he reached her.

"About what?" Kieran asked, not meaning to put so much venom in her voice.

"So, I love Shin," Jacob said.  Of course he wanted to talk about the thing that made her hurt.  "And Shin loves me."

"Are you here to rub it in?" Kieran snapped.

"And you love Shin," he continued, "and Shin loves you."

"You are here to rub it in," Kieran said.  "That never seemed your style."

"So she keeps on bouncing between us because she can't bear to ditch either of us, not forever," Jacob said.  "I've put a lot of thought into this and . . .  I think I don't mind sharing."

Kieran's brain stopped.  "What?"

"As long as you're not making out with her in front of me or something," Jacob said, "I don't think I'd really have a problem with my girlfriend being yours too."  He paused. "There would probably be bumps, maybe spikes of jealousy, but I think between the three of us we could make it work."

"Are you serious?"

"Completely."

"What does Shin think?" Kieran asked.

"I don't know," Jacob said.  "I didn't want to bring up the idea with her unless it was ok with you.  I just know that when she's with me she pines for you."

"And when she's with me she pines for you," Kieran said.

There was a long silence.

"I don't hate you," Kieran said.  "I don't particularly like you, but I don't hate you.  And the only thing I hate about you being with her is that she's not with me."  Kieran took a pause.  She closed her eyes, took a breath, and slowly let it out.  "Do you really think it could work?"

"I think it's worth a try."

"Would have thought you'd be telling her 'you know you better make up your mind // And pick up on one and leave the other one behind,'" Kieran said.

"The 60's had great music, but some fucked up ideas about relationships," Jacob said.  "Even the song says, 'It's not often easy and not often kind.'  Why should pain and tears and unkindness need to happen when there's an obvious third option?"

"It's possible that I might one day like actually like you," Kieran said, "maybe even see you as a friend."

"Not like it's a done deal," Jacob said.

Kieran nodded, "It's never really come up how Shin feels about polyamory."

-

Shin Possible and Kieran Stevens are the creations of Blackbird, used with permission.  I've only asked for a handful of characters, not giant swaths of plot, so their origins, Kieran's parentage, and various other things do not remotely match Blackbird's presentation of them.

In Blackbird's work Shin is exclusively interested in women and Kieran is, if I'm remembering correctly, the one who is almost exclusively interested in them.  I've swapped that for my version, which is how Shin/Jacob is even possible.

If I ever get around to starting it, the Here's how it is 'verse will be built around me giving the same treatment to Kim Possible that I've given to things like Twilight, Narnia, and Left Behind: rewriting rather than accepting existing canon and telling new stories.  It won't, however, end when Kim graduates from high school.  Jacob, Shin, and Kieran are all second generation characters, and this takes place when they're adults.

The way Life After ties into all of this is that Life After is set off when an individual in the HHII 'verse changes the past and knocks everything wildly off course.  The beginning of Life After Part I Chapter 1 takes place in the HHII 'verse, after that everything's been changed.

It should be noted that Kieran has pretty much the same requirements as Jacob: totally fine sharing, if you get excessively affectionate right in front of me, my jealousy is probably going to be triggered.  Note that Jacob said "making out" not mere "kissing".

1 comment: