Tuesday, October 20, 2015

It's official: the cold time has begun

I was going to say "cold season" because that's what it is, a season.  Well, two seasons.  But "cold season" has connotations that have nothing to do with temperature and everything to do with disease.

I got home last night.  Being away was why I didn't get my new primary computer the moment it arrived.  I'd made a special, extremely short, trip back just to get it a few days after it arrived.

So I'd only been in the house long enough to pick up the computer, a few foam swords for kids who fight and also practicing the noble art of fighting kids, make sure the cat's food bowl was indeed getting filled in my absence, top off said bowl with food, and then go again.

Oh, I also dropped off clean clothes because, washing machine still not fixed, I'm using other people's washing machine which is located elsewhere.

So, anyway, I got home last night.  Finished off the first installment of Life After, went to bed.

It was way too cold.

This morning was a lengthy negotiation with myself just to venture out from under the covers because of the cold.

So this morning I turned the heat on.  It'll be staying on.

That means oil burns.  That means money burns.  I'm still at least a thousand behind from house-dentist-tuition-stuff-thing before the computer broke.  Now it's a matter of time before I need to buy more oil.  A project for which I'm supposed to draw on the reserves that I don't have.

The cold time has begun.

1 comment:

  1. Ach, that's terrible!

    I don't have much to offer on that besides the suggestion that you plan to spend a lot of time away from your home, especially in the winter, so that you can Not Die and Not Freeze but also Not Burn All The Money.

    I imagine you'd still have to have the furnace running to keep pipes from freezing and such... do you have a thermostat control? Cuz if so I imagine the pipes not freezing temp is lower than the Chris remains safely warm blooded temp, so that should at least save a bit here and there...

    ReplyDelete